Saturday 14 July 2012

I Told You This Post Would Happen; Why is "Virgin" called "Virgin"?

Virgin.

No, I'm not trying to insult you badly. I'm reminding you of my earlier post when I mentioned I wanted to know where the name Virgin for the Virgin Media company came from. I have found who deserves a slap for this. I have found who deserves naming and shaming for COUNTLESS years of 11 year olds giggling everywhere over this company's name. I have found who can be blamed for 13 year old me getting bullied for having "Virgin" plastered all over my phone. It got worse when I couldn't even get "Virgin signal" Yeah. Ha ha.

Tessa Watts.

Yep. It was a woman. Tessa Watts was a "friend" [with benefits] of Richard Branson when he first kick-started Virgin Records and she thought it'd be GREAT to call it Virgin because they were "Virgins" to business.
Well that's sweet.
Just let me ask. If Mark Zuckerburg had woken up that morning and thought to himself "It'd be cute if we call it www.virgins.co.uk, because we're all new to this whole social networking thing" Would you still use it everyday? Would you download the "Virgin" app? Would you have a QR code tattooed on your arm that lead to your "Virgin Page"?

I wouldn't.


Just a thought.

Oh and this was their logo beforehand: Sexy isn't it. I prefer it. At least it features two, lesbian looking virgins. You called it "Virgin", may as well be obtuse about it.


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I was just looking this up because I think it's a great name for a company and couldn't figure out how he came up with it! But I guess the thanks go to Tessa Watts............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boris The Salt Shaker4/21/2013 6:35 am

    We should all take a moment to laugh at her, partially thank her for giving us years of immature giggles and then laugh at her again for suggesting something clearly not thought through.

    ReplyDelete